Post-mortems

This is something I’ve been wanting to do for a very long time. I find that talking about past videogames and the reasoning behind the decisions made during the development of them, both helps me understand them more and at the same time demystified the whole process of game development.

So that’s what I’ll try to achieve with these post-mortems.

In the past year or so I’ve started quite a few projects and finished only two of them (the first one and the last one, conveniently enough). Nevertheless, I’ve learned something new out of every single one of them, so I wouldn’t even dream to label any one of these projects as a waste of time, in fact, quite the contrary: Each one served as an experiment in different ways to make games. Some of them failed, some of them succeeded and all of them were made with Game Maker.

I’ve already started to try out new tools for game making, so I thought appropriate to start a series of postmortems now that I had such a big change in the way I’m making games.

Also, this post is just an introduction to the series of post-mortems since explaining all of this in the first post of the series would have only ammounted to unnnecessary commentary. This way, I get to ramble on and on for a few paragraphs without having to worry about the word count. Plus, I have two very big exams in a few days so I don’t exactly have the time to give this series the polish it deserves.

Advertisements