As expected, the success of the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter campaign has motivated a ton of people to attempt to fund their projects through the website. This is both, awesome and maybe not so awesome after all.
As I see it, there’s not that many people willing to pour their money into this type of funding, especially so for the niche projects. So seeing a lot of projects come up practically at the same time kind of worries me a little. It means that money will be spread more thinly and that some more ambitious projects might not make it.
At least so far, these are the projects that I’ve seen after the double fine explosion; most of them already successfully funded … the last one not so much for now.
- The Banner Saga, a “role-playing game merged with turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings”
- Idle Thumbs, a videogame podcast
- Wasteland 2, a sequel to the now classic original
- Auditorium 2: Duet, an indie game about creating music by bending rivers of light and color
- A remake of the first Leisure Suit Larry Game